In the midst of all we have to do, it’s often tempting to neglect the aspects of your spouse that you appreciate. It’s even possible to complain about the things your spouse isn’t doing (like helping you clean up the house or making enough money or letting you have “me” time). But we all need a reminder that our spouses are from God, ordained by God to walk through life with us and share in our ups and downs. We need to make time to appreciate what our spouses do on a regular basis, as thanks to God for blessing us with our life partners.
This past weekend, I asked my friends on Facebook one thing they appreciated about their spouses. Multiple people struggled to share just one thing they appreciated about their spouses. It warms my heart to see people who have been married ranging from one year to multiple decades find a plethora of reasons to thank their spouses for what they do. In a world that is so quick to complain, there are people out there who have the good things their spouses do at the forefront of their minds and tongues.
I also appreciate through that there was no competition, comparison, or griping (talking about what our spouses don’t do for us, or complaining that our spouses aren’t like another person’s). We truly came together, as a community, to affirm each other’s positive comments. Positivity and encouragement can truly help us see our spouses as the blessings that they are. Focusing on what we appreciate our spouse, as one woman commented, can even help us love our spouses even more.
The original post is here.
- I appreciate that my spouse always helps out around the house in every area! Laundry, cooking, cleaning and more ❤️
- My husband helps readily and willingly without complaint and I’m so grateful!
- She respects and recognizes me for taking responsibility as a husband and father,
- She likes me and that makes my day
- She wakes up early every day of the week and prepares me a complete and delicious breakfast
- She’s a good administrator of our financial resources
- She did not have an outside job so she could raise our two kids from when they were born up to middle school
- She has fully supported me all these years as I serve the Lord in different ministries
- He knows how to bring out the best in me
- He loves me for who I am
- He supports me and believes in me
- He is my best friend
- I can tell him anything without judgement
- He makes me laugh even at myself when I need to
- He makes me coffee every morning which starts off my day feeling loved
- Having someone who can challenge me on anything but from a place of love
- Someone who knows who I really am so after a long day of “saving face,” I can tell him how I was really feeling
- Carrying the load of children together
- Being able to deal with financial burdens together
- My favorite part of the day is getting into bed and just laying there both of us being able to understand how exhausted each other is but still wanting to talk about the day and then argue over who is getting up to go put the fan on 🙂
- I appreciate that [my husband] volunteers his time in helping others. I had only known [him] a short time when I saw how he was involved in helping in his church with the young people, various church committees, involved with community service groups. Because of his willingness to help others both of our children also enjoy helping others. [We] have the same motto we live by:”Happiness is thinking of others first,yourself last and God all the time.”
- I am truly a blessed woman to have been given such a wonderful man. He’s my anchor that allows me to soar. He is an incredible listener and wise with his words. He cherishes me. I appreciate everything he does for me and his family. He recognizes God first and honors all He does on our lives. His prayers are mighty and powerful and the praise reports are incredible to hear. I appreciate so many things about him, it cannot be limited to just one. 💖
- Is caring and understanding beyond anything I thought humanly possible
- Encourages me everyday to remember to include God is all matters.
- Is undefinably the most honest and transparent man I could ever ask for
- Brings smile to my face and a shoulder to cry on when I need it the most
- Being each other’s best friend 💕
- Praying for one another
- Lo que mas me gusta de el, es que siempre da gracias a Dios cuando lo bendice de alguna manera. [What I love most about him, is that he always gives thanks to God for every blessing].
- Many of these wonderful comments are echoed sentiments for many of our marriages including ours. But first and foremost is putting God first in all that we do. HE is the rock that’s gets us through bad times and good times. I love my husband, my best friend who has helped me grow in my journey and reminds me to love the Lord first then him. I do the same. It’s an incredible journey indeed ! 💕
- My husband and I are United and focused on running our race together for Christ
- I’m a rule follower so here’s my one thing unique to my hubby- he keeps me on task!
- My husband lets me be me. He doesn’t try to change me or put me down.
- His willingness to stand by me through thick and thin. To continue loving me faults and all. And to agree to disagree when needed.
- The most important thing is I’m so grateful He is a man of God. He leads our family and me to know Christ more and leads our family in a Godly manner.
- I love that he is an incredible father to our kids. He is the fun one and cares for our children in ways I never will be able to.
- He often “talks me off the ledge” in life. There are many times I get inside my head and feel overwhelmed or lose perspective of the blessings God has given us. Instead of scolding me or making me feel worse about it he helps talk me through it, reminding me to focus on Christ and taking a step back to see it really isn’t as bad as I think it is.
- I appreciate that he lets me be who I am unapologetically. I do not have to put on airs, make excuses, try harder, or be someone else. He lets me be me, and loves me gracefully.
- She carries the burden of our family (3 kids and me) very well
As you read through these comments, maybe you’ll resonate with one of them. Does your spouse do the same? Today, stop and thank your spouse for doing what he or she does. It doesn’t take much to make someone’s day, all you have to do is thank them.
Photo by Cerys Lowe on Unsplash